Each year NeighborWorks Green Bay sends a team of eight residents to the Community Leadership Institute: a weekend of leadership training with NeighborWorks America. The team participates in leadership classes and is tasked with coming up with a project to improve their community. The 2019 CLI team created Good Neighbor Week. The week is all about encouraging people to be good to each other, lending a helping hand if possible. Good Neighbor Week 2020 was a very successful beginning of the community-wide event.
Good Neighbor Week 2022 will take place September 25th through October 1st. NeighborWorks Green Bay, Green Bay Neighborhoods, the City of Green Bay, as well as many community partners plan to take on several projects helping neighbors in need in our community.
We encourage you to think about how you can participate in Good Neighbor Week in your neighborhood. Below are just a few ways you can be a good neighbor!
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE IN GOOD NEIGHBOR WEEK IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD?
- Trash walks
- Food drives
- Mow your neighbor’s lawn/water their garden
- Bake bread or cookies for a neighbor
- Convert a Little Free Library to a food pantry
- Organize a community bike ride
- Neighborhood Walks
- Schedule porch coffee dates
- Sidewalk chalk messages/ trails through the neighborhood for people to follow – like hopscotch
- Become pen pals or phone pals
- Community stargazing/campfire nights
- Porch concerts
- Garden in the front yard – learn new plants
- Story time – read a book out loud to the neighborhood
- Write an old-fashioned letter to family/neighbors you can’t socialize with
- Start a neighborhood online book club
- Check on neighbors
- Give blood
- Virtual tip jars….to fundraise to assist workers in bars and restaurants
- Blue lights and ribbons to support health care workers
- Clean your block….to include clearing leaves out of storm sewer grates
- Paint stones and leave them around the neighborhood sending messages of hope and community
Or make a gift to NeighborWorks Green Bay to increase our impact on the community!